[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping in the Space AND Death and Taxes

Al Jigen Billings albill at openbuddha.com
Thu Dec 23 19:42:32 UTC 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Rigel Christian wrote:

> In other words, "social justice is awesome so long as it either gives me warm fuzzies or doesn't inconvenience me."

Putting words in the mouths of other people is rather insulting (as well as condescending). I wouldn't call doing any kind of social justice work convenient for anyone and telling someone who has taken time to do it the above is just annoying. It is neither here nor there in what was actually being said, though. Stick to the point.

> And please don't misinterpret that, it is truly commendable that you've done this kind of work. But if we're only committed to social justice this far, then all we're doing is trying to assuage our guilty consciences for having it better than other people. Which is again, more than many many others are doing, but it can't exactly be called a principle in that case.

Do you want a hackerspace or a homeless shelter? If you're wanting social justice, Rigel, go volunteer at a homeless shelter and quit trying to turn your hackerspace into one. Do some time at the SF Food Bank sorting food and helping people. Go volunteer at any one of a number of organizations dedicated to helping people who want and need help.

 Going back to the actual conversation, try addressing my actual point for once since you ignored it (again).

 Al