[Noisebridge-discuss] Sleeping at NB

Sai noisebridge at saizai.com
Sun Dec 26 19:01:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Kelly <hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you actively talk to someone about their behavior,
> hopefully you are able to treat them as a human being and a fellow
> hacker. And then there will be roughly one of two outcomes: a) they
> feel bad and attempt to mend their ways, or b) they don't care about
> minor community disapproval and will continue their disrespectful
> behavior as long as they can get away with it.

... or (as is completely missing in your framing):
 c) you come to understand their position better and change your mind about it.

I don't think you can be genuinely talking *with* someone about an
issue if you approach is if the only options are that they acknowledge
or reject your (axiomatic correct) desires.

(Still not used to saying this...) This is what Jake was talking
about, and was absolutely correct. Genuine conversation, even
(especially?) about contentious topics like this, requires a premise
that you are seeking to understand the other person's position - not
merely to more gently intimidate them into acceding to yours.

I agree that posting photos/names is a dick move, though. I am
extremely uncomfortable with the use of ostracism as a social control
tactic. I think all of us can think of why that is, upon reflection.

- Sai