[Noisebridge-discuss] long-time visitors VS. new visitors (the growing rift)

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Sun Dec 26 19:56:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:

> I'm going to start skipping the discussion section of the Tuesday
> meeting from now on and clean up the EE equipment shelves instead.
> It's past time the membership made more progress towards improving the
> space instead of talking about it.  I have faith that many of my views
> will be represented by other members who enjoy the discussion process.
>  Meanwhile, I'll be asking people working on electronics projects what
> they need, if they can help out with some cash to get it, and if they
> have any to spare to help support the space.  That's how communities
> are built, right?

I totally agree; I tend to be a vigilant  about "Hey we run on donations,
there's a donation box right there Ladies and Gentlemen of whatever class
I'm running, herp derp," but it seems to actually work.  It may just be that
there exist people who appreciate the kind of resource that we provide and
are also members of the market economy.

But, on building infrastructure: we need to focus on it, but focusing too
much is a trap we've fall into before.  In the past, we've had many of the
core members working on the space, instead of working in the space.  It
seems like new people are the ones who come in with neat new projects and
make things happen at noisebridge, while the older generations have
degenerated into yak shaving the infrastructure at the space.   Maybe this
is just how it's going to be, but I suspect we lost a lot of original
members because they wanted to hack, not build a place to hack (and/or sit
around drinking beer and hanging out in the half-finished place to hack).
--
/jbm