[Noisebridge-discuss] Call the Mayor Day - Tuesday February 9th

Ani Niow v at oneletterwonder.com
Mon Feb 1 03:15:41 UTC 2010

If you've ever been to a nightclub here in SF, live in a warehouse or
participate in an event at a gallery this affects you.

I'm sure you're all familiar with Stop the War on Fun (
http://www.stopthewaronfun.org/) where nightclubs are getting harassed by
the ABC and other parties are having laptops and other equipment
confiscated. A lot of us that live in warehouse spaces are also concerned
since we have the SFPD (or rather certain officers in the SFPD) cracking
down on us too.

We're not taking this lying down and us warehousers have already started a
coalition to represent us but we need your help. Not just for our sake but
more importantly the continued existence of nightlife in the city we
live/work in. Here's what you can do:

First, read this article on SF Appeal that gives a bit of history:
http://sfappeal.com/culture/2010/01/whats-shaking-down-sf-venues-call-the-mayor-day-thats-what.php

Second, RSVP on this Facebook invite (
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=270204687372) or Plancast (
http://plancast.com/a/ctf) and make your voice known.

Third, call the Mayor on February 9th and let him know that you won't stand
for this.

An addendum to this event, is there a payphone near City Hall? Preferably a
booth. If not, does anyone want to help build one? The idea is to have a
long line of people outside the booth just waiting to call the mayor.
Something visual like that would certainly catch people's attention. At the
Warehouse Coalition meeting earlier some were talking about building a sort
of "Activism Booth" that would be transported from event to event and take
short videos of the attendee's reactions to the crackdowns and how it
affects them. Perhaps the efforts could be combined for both purposes. I'd
be open to meeting sometime after Tuesday to help build such a booth.

Good luck and happy calling,

-Ani