[Noisebridge-discuss] Science Zone at 2169

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 08:07:54 UTC 2010

David and Westley and I cleaned the new EEG machine and that was so
exciting that we also did a little cleaning in the hack area and
Electronics areas.  Things are now marginally more organized, and
there is a new Science Zone between Sewing and Electronics.  We've
moved the electron microscope there as well.  I encourage those
interested in taking good care of that device to post some reasonable
warning / instruction signs near it.  Sometime when the kitchen area
is more settled and functional, it will probably make sense to
relocate science stuff over there, but for now we have a little spot
to gather our equipment, even if we don't have the facilities to use
it all yet.

As far as the new EEG machine, it's an 11 channel (that's right, it
goes to 11) passive amplification machine, which currently outputs to
graph paper via a bunch of little mini pens, like a seismometer.
There is talk of digitizing 8 of the channels via arduino so that we
can use it with the cap and get digital data.  We've powered the
machine on, but haven't tried it out yet.  It needed a lot of
cleaning. So that's next Sunday at EEG!  In the meantime I encourage
you to check it out and try pushing the many awesome buttons and
dials.  It's a pretty robust machine, so unlike the SEM you probably
can't hurt it.

Also on the shelves in the science area are all of the Sensebridge and
EEG equipment, and some other miscellaneous science gadgets that have
been donated.  Sometime soon I'd love to paw through the Exploratorium
donations with someone knowledgeable.

-Kelly