[Noisebridge-discuss] [Fwd: concurrency for arduino]

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:54:07 UTC 2010

2010/02/04 Gian Pablo Villamil <gian.pablo at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Mitch Altman <maltman23 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Looks like your next project is to write a cross-compiler
> > for Occam OS to AVR.  :)
>
> Wait, isn't that what concurrency.cc is about? An Occam
> compiler for the Arduino?

  Not exactly -- they have a virtual machine interpreter, the
  Transterpreter

    http://www.transterpreter.org/

  that runs on AVRs and other things. It takes at least 10KiB,
  though; so there's no way you'd ever get a program on to the
  ATtiny25.

  However, they seem to have done some work on native code gen:

    http://www.transterpreter.org/publications/#JacobsenDimmichJadud06

  Occam is a message passing style of language. I wonder how it
  handles values that are shared by all processes, like
  registers? Is `DDRB' a "process" that you send messages, like
  this?

    DDRB ! set 00101110

  The examples they give are all so high-level.

--
Jason Dusek