[Noisebridge-discuss] plasmastaub / roboexotica

Rich Gibson rich.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 22:33:15 UTC 2010

David,

I don't quite understand why you wrote this about me.   Calling me
'facetious and unduly negative' feels harsh.

I personally have had a role in getting the Plasmastraub team to San
Francisco.

I personally encouraged them to come to San Francisco, and to Burning Man,
during Robo Exotica in Vienna, I took GigaPan images of their creation in
order to let other people experience some of its magic (
http://www.gigapan.org/gigapans/38531/) , I gave them various ideas on how
to get their creation here and how to fund it, and I have spent time trying
to get funding for them, and I have committed $1,000 of my personal cash to
them

Aside from it seeming that you don't know what the word 'facetious' means, I
do not think I have been facetious or unduly negative towards them!

My only regret is that I feel ashamed that due to my father's impending
death, and two other major family criseses, that I have not been able to do
more for them.

They are brilliant, creative, funny, and fun people who I hope will join in
the small group of people I consider my closest friends and colleagues.

I want it at our coming cocktail robotics festival which is not called
roboexotica in spirit is roboexotica, and I hope that they are able to get a
grant to take it to Burning Man, and/or, that they all get hooked up working
on cool Burning man projects for this coming build season

But at NoiseBridge we specifically and intentionally do not have welding and
plasma cutting equipment because it is a wood floored and wood framed
building.

The major fail mode with warehouse spaces, which are at least passably
similar to hackerspaces, is that unsafe welding causes a fire which brings
in the fire marshal and than all hell breaks loose.

See, for example, NIMBY's case of having to move to a new space, and they
are still basically financially unstable because of all of the red tape and
expense.

Rich