[Noisebridge-discuss] Bay Categories & Types -- 2010-02-11 PST Meeting Notes

Vlad Patryshev vpatryshev at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 01:17:46 UTC 2010

In addition, I plan to scan the next chapter (Functor), and send it over to
those willing to go ahead with studying the book and doing the exercises. I
got a feeling that our discussions will be way more productive if we are on
the same level: meaning that it would be better to discuss monadic stuff
after we are sure functors, natural transformations, and also maybe
adjointness and limits are firmly established notions - but of course these
are cool areas anyway, initial algebras for specific Haskell monads etc, so
probably it makes sense to share time, giving space to both.

2010/2/12 Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com>

>  The meeting was held in the Alonzo Church classroom. Tea cakes
>  (chocolate & banana bread) and almonds were served. Next time,
>  I'll bring some decent tea.
>

>  Attending: Vlad, Mikael, myself, Nicholas, Ian & Rebecca.
>

>  The meeting opened with some material from the text: a simple
>  problem on functors and a discussion of the "map-lifting
>  property".
>

>  I brought up comonadic IO for discussion but little progress
>  was made.
>

>  Nicholas wished to talk about type specifications and how we
>  use them for correctness in functional programming. We
>  discussed the specific examples of trees.
>

>  Vlad sketched out a tree datatype and mentioned that it should
>  be a poset, too. Mikael objected to this and objected to
>  calling these rooted datatypes trees. Turns out in graph
>  theory, trees are a different thing:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_%28graph_theory%29
>
>  The tree data structure of CS fame is an "arborescence" to
>  graph theorists:
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborescence_%28graph_theory%29
>
>  There was also some discussion of pointers and identity.
>

>  Really, though, Nicholas's ideas about specification involved
>  a notion of functors and so we came back to those. Vlad and
>  Mikael presented on the list monad and fixed points were
>  briefly introduced.
>

>  Somewhere in all this, Ian mentioned he had to go. We all
>  opted to leave at that point. Vlad and I will continue on in
>  Chapter 3, "Functors", and do a few problems.
>
> --
> Jason Dusek
>
> --

Thanks,