[Noisebridge-discuss] SD card pricing and fakes in China.

grey artkiver at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 21:23:22 UTC 2010

I don't know if you can really call them "faked" the batch that lead to this
discussion was a legitimate kingston reseller, and kingston did eventually
take that batch as a return.

Great exposition and research though, particularly if you haven't been to
China the distinction between the limited fabs who actually make things vs
the myriad brand names that get slapped on them later is pretty interesting
and reframes what value a brand name even implies.

I suspect being able to track something to a specific "ghost shift" is
something pretty much unknowable to an outsider; and is disguised even
within the fabs as best as possible.  It wouldn't surprise me if kingston
tried to raise some flags with sandisk/toshiba, but I doubt even they have
much recourse which is probably why they wanted to reject the return in the
first place.  In general resellers sell a lot of crap betting that even
consumers won't bother with a return if a part goes bad when it cost so
little to begin with.

-grey