[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge has a (potentially) new communication medium: The Noisebridge ning network!

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 05:34:05 UTC 2010

considering how many computers and servers we have at the space (hell, i
have one sitting in my room not doing anything waiting for someone to need
it, hint hint) why haven't we upgraded from the arcane mailing list format
to a more accessible and layman-friendly forum? we can keep the nested style
replies to keep the flavor of the format but it be less intimidating to new
members. I'm sure there must be /something/ out there with the features we
like (or that we can add) that's free and open source. the only reason i
even bother using the list is because it's the only thing people insist on
using. i haven't come across anyone else using a mailing list since i joined
freecycle once and that shit was annoying.

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Jonathan Foote <jtfoote at ieee.org> wrote:

> At the risk of flogging a deceased drama llama, here's a illustrative
> example of what can go wrong using a software service like Ning:
>
> "How Ning made me a chump and how you can avoid it:"
>
> http://www.morelightmorelight.com/2010/01/15/the-problem-with-software-as-a-service-is-you-dont-own-shit/
>

> I think this confirms a the reservations a lot of us had about the issue
>

> On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Noise Bridge
> <noisebridgening at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A very new work in progress to work along side the existing mailing list,
> > IRC channel, and Wiki site mediums. The Noisebridge ning will be a new
> way
> > for NB members to easily exchange ideas and discuss projects. The
> platform
> > is free and simple to use (meaning if you wanna know how it ticks simply
> > make your own network and fiddle with the admin options) and anonymous to
> > join if you so choose. Please check it out and give your feedback on the
> > medium. This has been made for the sole purpose of making the sharing of
> > ideas and the collaboration of projects easier to not only the newbie
> layman
> > but the hardcore nerd as well. Please give your very best constructive
> > criticism on the site and remember to be excellent to each other!

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.