[Noisebridge-discuss] Heating without electricity + watt/hour meter

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 06:57:25 UTC 2010

Time to play the Devil's Advocate.

I am specifically avoiding Noisebridge right now because it's too cold. It's
not super freezing (I just got back from a very snowy Berlin), but it's
uncomfortable. And if I have to choose between staying at home or a
coffeehouse that has heat, and suffering through the uglies at Noisebridge
on principle...

I don't think telling people to bundle up is a valid solution. If I'm going
someplace to be with friends, I want to relax. For me, relaxing involves
being able to take off my jacket(s). Wearing multiple layers also creates a
social barrier, which negates the entire idea of trying to have a warm
(lolz) and friendly community.

Also, I suspect a lot of projects (such as the buildout) are grinding to a
halt because nobody wants to deal with the cold. But hey, I haven't been
around in the last couple weeks, and this is all based on hearsay, so I
could be wrong.

On the other hand, throwing down for some reasonable source of heat that
doesn't ignite the building seems like a good plan. I know from experience
that a small space heater or two can make a world of difference, depending
on where it's placed. It might take a dozen space heaters to warm up NB, and
the insulation of the space kinda sucks, but I think it's worth it until
winter is over.