[Noisebridge-discuss] Fwd: Mentor wanted

Mitch Altman maltman23 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:21:38 UTC 2010

Hey,

I got an email from Dale Dougherty, who started MAKE Magazine and the Maker Faire.  He's looking for someone who would like to mentor some kids to help them make something cool for the upcoming SF Maker Faire in May.  I'd be doing this, for sure!, if I were in town.  But, as I'm on the East Coast through the end of the month, I thought I'd ask here, as Dale asked if anyone at NB might be into mentoring.  Here's what Dale wrote me:

     I've organized a mentoring meeting at TechShop

     this Saturday from 10:30-1pm.   We are working

     with Pixar and the Exploratorium on a Young Makers

     program that will involve four Saturdays at the

     Exploratorium and some small groups of young makers

     working with mentors to build something for Maker

     Faire.   I've wanted to have a discussion about how

     makers can be good mentors and what we can learn

     from the community about ways to engage kids in

     making things.   I'd love to have you join us if you can

     or send someone else from NoiseBridge who might have

     an interest in this subject.  You've certainly done a lot

     in this area.   We will have a mix of teachers, makers

     and others -- 30 people or so.

If you are interested, please email me off-list, and I can hook you up.

Best,

Mitch.