[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Calendar

Kelly hurtstotouchfire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 22:58:52 UTC 2010

Just thought I'd give this another poke since it's been a while since
our last argument. Is anyone interested in trying to get a better
calendar system set up for Noisebridge?

The wiki is generally the slightly more official bottom line for event
scheduling, but the format of events is really not portable or useful
and people occasionally double book.  Currently there's an
"unofficial" google calendar that I think we maintain mainly for the
ical feed (so we can have it on our fancy phones) but it's not
publicly editable.  We invite people to edit it on a whim though, so
there are quite a lot of editors.  This isn't really a great solution
though for several reasons, cheif amongst them that it is operated by
the googles rather than hosted locally.

So... any progress we can make on this?  If we can at least duke it
out on possible platforms until we know the best option then at least
I know what to pitch when some uppity newb starts complaining about
our calendar situation.  Or I may be technically capable of
implementing this myself, though I can't host it.

To my mind, our minimum requirements are these:

-Publicly editable, anonymously editable
-Publicly linkable
-Has the usual variety of calendar layouts (day, week, month, list)
-The usual calendar capabilities (description field, repeating events)
-iCal feed, RSS feed
-Some sort of feed which can auto-update the wiki homepage
-Probably free
-Hosted locally(ish)

And bonus options:

-Can use wiki logins or some other kind of identification in addition
to anonymous
-Events have a field for which room/area of NB
-Calendars show which room/area of NB
-open source or some other moral superiority
-easy publishing to email (for nb-announce, for instance)
-misc bells and whistles

-Kelly