[Noisebridge-discuss] Junk History solo show at Giant Robot SF

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jan 25 22:45:09 UTC 2010

Something y'all might like.

- Sai

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: robertsato <robertsato at earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:19 PM
Subject: Junk History solo show at Giant Robot SF

Hello Everyone,

Here comes Junk History, the official press release is out and the show
looms.  I'll be making the trip to the opening on February 13th.
Please note that the reception time on the image is wrong, it actually
starts at 6:30.  If you come at 6 you'll only see my ugly side.
Hope to see you there!

[image: http://www.gr-sf.com/uploaded_images/sato_postcard-768494.jpg]

Rob Sato at GRSF
February 13, 2010 - March 9, 2010
Reception: Saturday, February 13, 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm

GRSF
618 Shrader Street
San Francisco, CA 94117
gr-sf.com
415-876-4773

Giant Robot is proud to present Junk History, a solo show featuring new
works by Rob Sato.

Los Angeles-based artist Rob Sato produces rich, detailed imagery, mixing
scenes of stark horror, quiet beauty, and humor. His heavily yet subtly
narrative paintings tend to walk in a tense space between the observed and
imagined world, and the massive amount of back story evident in every image
rewards long, hard looks.

"Junk History will feature both the largest and the smallest paintings I've
ever worked on. I'm working furiously to finish a few huge pieces by show
time, there will be some prints of past favorites, and I've kept making a
bunch of these tiny paintings that somewhat ape the look of slide film,"
says Sato. "What comes out is an unexpected mass of paper machines which
seem to work pretty well despite being a bit clunky and bound together with
spit and string. Some of them crash pretty hard, but those only get shown if
they crash hilariously."

Giant Robot was born as a Los Angeles-based magazine about Asian,
Asian-American, and new hybrid culture in 1994, but has evolved into a
full-service pop culture provider with shops and galleries in Los Angeles,
San Francisco, and New York City, as well as an online equivalent.

A reception for the artist will be held from 6:30 - 10:00 on Saturday,
February 13. For more information about Sato, GRSF, or Giant Robot magazine,
please contact:

Eric Nakamura
Giant Robot Owner/Publisher
eric at giantrobot.com