[Noisebridge-discuss] How do you secure your public wifi usage?

Lamont Lucas lamont at cluepon.com
Sat Jan 2 22:44:04 UTC 2010

Lee Sonko wrote:
> When you log on to a wifi network that isn't your own, how do you protect
> your data?
>
> I often have to log on to non-SSL websites when I'm in the wild. Every time
> I type a password on one of those networks, I get the willies. What do -you-
> do to protect yourself in such situations? Maybe use a VPN to the cloud
> service? Single-use passwords? Get all your logins to use OpenID? Go naked?
> Stay home?

I have a FreeBSD box I colocate with BandWagon (our sysadmin coop in the
city) and when I'm in "the wild" or more likely a corporate environment
I don't trust or like, I use the socks5 tunnel option to ssh (ssh -D
1234 my.remote.host) then use FoxyProxy with my firefox to redirect all
or some URLs through the newly opened and encrypted proxy listening on
localhost:1234.  That would work with any box you can ssh into that you
trust.  No software (other than a relatively modern sshd) is needed on
the server side, and the foxyproxy plugin is optional (you could set
your proxy manually through the advanced/network preferences menu if you
don't want to mess with foxyproxy)

You can even instruct it to do DNS resolution on the other side of the
proxy, which hides your tracks a little better.