[Noisebridge-discuss] seeking geek advice: firefox+vimerator or chrom?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Jan 3 04:18:47 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Michael Shiloh's message of Sat Jan 02 20:12:45 -0800 2010:
> I'll try shutting off the Flash plugin as you suggest. I have no use for
> Flash anyway. It's damn near a virus, in my opinion.

I would do the same, but I like to be able to use video on the web. Not
too many sites embedding .ogg these days :(

> The more I play with vimperator, the more I want vi navigation for my
> entire desktop.

I use the "awesome" window manager on the desktop, and have it set with
mostly vi-like keybindings, but this only works for spawning, moving,
and re-arranging windows, not actually interacting with the applications
themselves.

> The same folks who did vimperator have a similar project for
> thunderbird, but it only starts with thunderbird 3 which just in alpha
> and isn't working for me quite yet.

Mail-wise, I've had good luck with "sup", a mail client written in ruby
with mostly vi-like defaults and configurable keybindings.
Not a full-on GUI like Thunderbird, so html mail is less convenient.

--j