[Noisebridge-discuss] How do you secure your public wifi usage?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Jan 5 18:23:48 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Sai Emrys's message of Sun Jan 03 04:00:49 -0800 2010:
> SSH + Proxifier, as I wrote to list recently.
>
> Of course this only makes my connection security issues delegated to
> my proxy server rather than my hotspot, so SSL etc are still required,
> but it's still good.
>
> I've used FoxyProxy, but IMO proxifier is better because it's
> significantly more comprehensive; FP is leaky and in any event only
> covers Firefox, rather than also the multiple other programs that
> access the 'net (e.g. Adium, Skype, etc).

Adium, at least, follows the system wide SOCKS proxy settings if set.
This is at least one way to give a hint to programs that use it on OSX.

Alternatively under Linux, one can use tsocks as a wrapper around each
application you run. It uses the dynamic linker to map calls to
connect() to actually connect through a SOCKS proxy.

Even better would be an encrypted IP tunnel from ones host to whichever
proxy server you'd normally use. ssh -w could work.

--j