[Noisebridge-discuss] How do you secure your public wifi usage?

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Tue Jan 5 20:10:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> This is at least one way to give a hint to programs that use it on OSX.
> "programs that use it". Some may, but most don't.

Which is why I don't like merely "hinting" at what my programs should
do. I much prefer commanding.

>> Proxifier just automatically patches *all* traffic through the proxy
>> per your rules.
>
> Much like an IP tunnel.
[...]
> The exact reason why I recommend a network-layer tunnel that you're
> pointing your default route over.
> This way, any program that uses the local kernel to open a socket or
> connect out will take this path, even if the program or kernel knows
> nothing of the configuration of the tunnel/tunnel device.
>
> It also avoids the overhead and flow control of a TCP session, though if
> you're running TCP over this tunnel, you'll still see the increased
> latency.

Also a good solution, but more fiddly AFAICT.

>> FWIW though, there is tsocks for mac.
>
> Link? It was my understanding that OSX didn't have a dynamic linker that
> worked for all executables.

Odd, I don't see it now. I'm 99% sure I did before though. Maybe
someone with more googlefu will find it; I'm feeling kinda sick and
thus not up to it.

>> Proxifier handles proxy chaining. :-)
>
> So does OpenSSH.
>
> ssh -L 1080:127.0.0.1:33444 host1 "ssh -D 33444 host2"

+1

Not sure how/if this is different for security though vs what
proxifier does. Someone with more knowledge of networking protocols
care to comment?

- Sai