[Noisebridge-discuss] Spacebridge launch planning meeting, Sunday 1/10, 5pm

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Jan 7 03:55:57 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Mikolaj Habryn's message of Wed Jan 06 18:44:18 -0800 2010:
> I know nothing about radio :P how much power and weight would a
> transmitter sized for 30 miles clear-air range require?  And it is
> feasible to have a bidirectional link, or would it require being able
> to orient an antenna on the balloon itself?

If you have line of sight (available for most of a balloon flight,
except for landing/close to ground), you wont need much power with a
directional antenna on the ground following where the balloon
approximately is. It will probably take more power to transmit than
receive.

The power source is probably going to be the biggest in terms of weight.
Also, depending on how high up you are, you might need a heater or
insulation to keep the cells warm enough to function.

I haven't looked at this kind of thing in ages, but I would think
whatever's the lightest, lowest power radio (that you can use legally,
ham radio, ISM, etc.) you can find should do.

Closer down to the ground, maybe use the 3G in the *droid?

--j