[Noisebridge-discuss] Bringing Down the Credit Bureaus

Brian Molnar brian.molnar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:19:17 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM, Sai Emrys <saizai at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another practical question: how would you ensure that people report
> their feedback, rather than only searching for others'?

It's similar motivation as with the existing systems. It's used as a
deterrent. If a creditor wants to get you to pay, they'll threaten to dent
your credit. In fact, this could be used as a major selling point. If with
initial adoption you can show that the service is effective in getting
people to settle debts, then it becomes valuable to creditors because it
saves them money on collections agencies.

> It's crucial to getting useful data, and in the usual cases, it's done
> by contractual obligation. AFAICT you don't intend to have such a
> mandatory-reporting relationship with your users, and IMPE any site
> that doesn't somehow has a high reader:contributor ratio.

Yes, In general, I would expect this service to have a higher
reader-to-contributor ratio, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. So long
as you can get enough contributors to make it useful then it will be able to
sustain itself. I look at this similarly to Wikipedia - it has a very high
reader-to-contributor ratio, but it's still getting useful data and still
driving tons of traffic.

- Brian