[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] New logo source?

aestetix aestetix aestetix at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 18:22:27 UTC 2010

I really like the idea here.

Here's the way I see it: Noisebridge, and the hacking scene in general has
very deep roots in several cultures. It's really important to understand our
history, otherwise you wind up with a bunch of artifacts you aimlessly
follow and obey. I think that's one of the things suggested here. Hacking is
about exploring and finding new ways to do things, regardless of what the
status quo of the time says.

The logo itself brings to mind a lot of things. The rainbow is really
important to San Francisco culture, for obvious reasons. I also get the
image of following the rainbow to find the gold at the end (pursuing your
passions?). Obviously there is the Weather Underground element (maybe ask
why the WU chose theirs as well). Of course Noisebridge is *not* WU-- we
advocate technology and community, not violence; we remove negative parts of
their ideology and embrace the parts that were excellent.

It's a direct homage to CCC, which is really significant to anyone who has
been. When I was there last month, someone told me that they visited
Noisebridge and it was the closest thing to CCC they'd found in America.
That's about the best compliment we could ever get. And 26 solid years shows
it can pass the test of time. Also, the dirty unfinished look feels a lot
like Noisebridge: organic, in constant flux. As it should be.

This is really cool, because a lot of people have gotten used to the logo,
and grown to rely on it. It's become a sort of trademark. I think this idea
is trying to encourage people to think outside the box. What does our logo
mean to you? What does Noisebridge mean to you? Is there another way you
could recreate the ideas?

aestetix

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson