[Noisebridge-discuss] [drama] New logo = terrorism?

alexhandy alexhandy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 22:36:38 UTC 2010

So, here's my thoughts on this...

I entirely appreciate "Solidarity." That's all rad and good.

But we had someone who was willing to take the time and provide the work to put this on the door downstairs. What kind of irritates me is that they went and did this new logo without any kind of "Hey, I'm going to do this!"

It would be nice to have seen that effort go into painting the logo everyone has grown to know and love somewhere on the door because we've got at least a year of brain-share on that image spread throughout the world.

As it stands, only those with the means to go to European conferences had a say in this. If I wanted to, I could be a real dick and call this some sort of class discrimination. I won't... But I just kinda did.

As rad as CCC must have been, I actually am not aesthetically crazy about this new logo. I am sure a lot of work went into it.... but as a person who works with many graphic designers... yeah... not super impressed. I don't want to rip on it, or anything.... But I will:

The new logo does not list "Noisebridge" anywhere. There is no URL or other info. Our current logo, in sticker form, holds 100% of the information people need to find us. This new logo basically seems to be a representation of Trolling.

Yes, trolling. It's a fucking keyboard (which changes configuration in the various iterations) that seems to be under a bridge. It also has that "drawn by a kid" look to it, and I don't think that conveys the right image.

Yes, Noisebridge is about education. But not specifically about educating kids. I am kind of surprised a bunch of engineers would latch onto such an imprecisely rendered logo..

It really kind of irks me that it is now emblazoned on the front door, when I have handed stickers out to people and said "Yeah, look for this logo and come on by!"

It's our brand, people. Do we want our logo to look like a red-hearded woman hiding her face behind a keyboard? It's like someone smacked Wendy with a Dvorak.

This is not about merchandising, but it's about people recognizing it while walking through the very scary Mission, and recognizing that they have found that really cool place they heard about when someone gave them a sticker.

I understand that there has been a grumbling about the Noisebridge circuit logo not actually being a real functioning circuit. Maybe we should have at least worked from that when trying to rebrand Noisebridge.

VonGuard