[Noisebridge-discuss] logo submission (was: New logo = terrorism?)

Ben Kovitz bkovitz at umail.iu.edu
Sun Jan 10 08:34:02 UTC 2010

I think hep's proposed new logo looks pretty cool, but I hope we stay
with the old logo.

The old logo is fucking brilliant.  It's simple, it's clear, it's
distinctive, it shows our roots in old-school electronics hacking, it
perfectly fits the name "noisebridge".  It has the rare quality of
"permanently cool".  It attracted me to the place.  It made me feel
good when I saw it above the doorway on the street.  It's just right,
like a simple, straightforward hardware design, the kind that is "done
not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to
take away".  Highest respect to whoever designed it.

Another virtue of the old logo is that it doesn't include the name.
The symbol stands alone: no text.  It says what needs to be said, to
those who can understand.  To the rest of the world, it's inscrutable.

That said, there's nothing wrong with tinkering and playing around
with it occasionally, like the current fun on the wiki.  We're a
hackspace, after all.  Saying you couldn't play with it would be like
Los Angeles saying you can't play with the HOLLYWOOD sign.

Ben