[Noisebridge-discuss] why a sine wave?

jim jim at well.com
Wed Jan 13 22:58:30 UTC 2010

   I do not prefer a single (i.e. "pure") tone. I prefer
one with harmonics.

   Examples include
* the difference between high quality as opposed to low
quality instruments, where the differentiation is in the
nature of the harmonics, listen to a high quality violin
or saxophone;
* orchestra color requires variations in the harmonic
contents of the various instruments;
* some African musical instrument makers got real excited
when they discovered bottle caps, because adding the
bottle caps to their instruments added a buzzing quality
to the sound;
* jimi hendricks plays the guitar like a story teller
partly because his notes are somewhat buried in noise
(string and fret rattle and other sibilant stuff, kind of
like somebody in a negligee can be more sexy than someone
stark naked.
* note that the sounds of gongs and cymbals vary in their
harmonic content as the sounds decay, there's something
similar to phase shifting which keeps the tone interesting.

   seems to me all of the above relate to the effects of
harmonic content of tone qualities, though maybe not
coincident with fourier analysis.