[Noisebridge-discuss] What's a non-trivial equipmentless game?

Ben Kovitz bkovitz at indiana.edu
Thu Jan 14 06:43:18 UTC 2010

This is a bit like charades but IMO way more fun.

"Adverb"

One person, the Guesser, leaves the room. The others choose an adverb.
The Guesser returns, thinks of an activity, names one or more others,
and says, "Do X in the manner of the word." The others act out the
activity in the manner if the adverb, and the Guesser takes a guess at
the adverb. If wrong, the Guesser suggests another activity, and so on
until the Guesser guesses right. One guess per scene. When the Guesser
gets it right, pick someone else to be the Guesser for the next round.
(It's a noncompetitive game.)

For example, one time I played this, the adverb was "flamboyantly".
The Guesser picked me and one other person and said, "Change a tire in
the manner of the word."

One time, I was the Guesser, and the others decided to give me a hard
word: "multiculturally." Yes, even words that abstract can be acted
out and guessed.

A tip: Make no effort to be funny. There will be much laughter no
matter what you do, but it's best to act out each activity in the most
direct and serious way you can.

Also, use no props, even if good ones are handy. Just mime everything
(except chairs). This keeps it a game of intellect and imagination.

  http://greenlightwiki.com/improv/adverb

Sent from my iPhone