[Noisebridge-discuss] What's a non-trivial equipmentless game?

Don French dcfrench at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 07:17:41 UTC 2010

You mean blindfold chess, right?  Otherwise it requires equipment.  I played
blindfold chess with a friend once as we drove across country but it gives
me a headache to even think about it now.  George Koltanowski, the previous
editor of the SF Chronicle's chess column set an early record for playing 34
simultaneous blindfold chess games.   Of course he only won 24 of them, so
...  Much later in 1960 at the age of 57 he played 56 simultaneous blindfold
games at 10 seconds per move and won 50 of them.  I knew George from the
days when he published some of my chess problems and when I asked him how he
could remember the positions of all those games, he said, "Simple, I just
replay the moves in my head!"

-- Don