[Noisebridge-discuss] Description page for Linus System Administrators Study Group?

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Jan 18 00:57:43 UTC 2010

jim wrote, On 20100117 160758:
>     yes, rubin. you asked me, jim, and i asked you
> where to locate the page, then you went away for
> a few weeks.
>     i can't figure out how to work with categories.
> i hate just making a page that isn't subordinate
> to some upper-level related page.
>     but i figured it out: i'm gonna write up a
> description and stick out "there" somewhere on the
> internet then create an external link. and really:
> thanks for the reminder.

Quick Mediawiki howto for those wanting to know how to create a page
that's linked from somewhere else on the wiki, and to toss it into a
category.

1) Go to the wiki, be awesome and log in.

2) Find the page you want to link from. The Noisebridge main page pulls
its events listing from the Category:Events page.
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Events

3) Click "edit" at the top of the page.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Category_Events_-_Noisebridge-20100117-163205.png

4) Find the part of the text where you want to create a link from.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Firefox-20100117-163315.png

5) Think of a name for your new page. Let's call it "Linux System
Administration Study Group" or some such. To let Mediawiki know that
this is the name of the page, we surround it with double brackets.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Category_Events_-_Noisebridge-20100117-163639.png

6) Give a quick summery about what you're doing to the page and hit
"Show preview" to see if what you did makes any sense.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Category_Events_-_Noisebridge-20100117-163838.png

7) Yay we have a preview, the link to the new page is there. The link is
the color red because the page doesn't actually exist yet.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Category_Events_-_Preview_-_Noisebridge-20100117-163949.png

8) Remember this is a preview still, so scroll down and click the "Save
page" button.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Category_Events_-_Preview_-_Noisebridge-20100117-164106.png

9) The changes have now been saved. Let's click on the new link we
created! Remember it's still red because that page doesn't exist yet.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Category_Events_-_Preview_-_Noisebridge-20100117-163949.png

10) Since the page doesn't exist yet, Mediawiki automatically takes you
to the edit page. Let's put some information in there. Surrounding
==something== with equal signs will turn that thing into a section
header the more equal signs the deeper of a child that section will be.
When you use sections, a nice table of contents is created for you. I've
gone ahead and added in another link to the page that has information on
how to get to Noisebridge. Lastly I included a quick summery of what my
change to this page is, which is it's creation. Now let's hit preview!
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group_-_Noisebridge-20100117-164707.png

11) Yay, the preview looks great!
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group_-_Preview_-_Noisebridge-20100117-164815.png

12) Let's hit the save page button at the bottom.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group_-_Preview_-_Noisebridge-20100117-164938.png

13) Yay! We have a new page with some information in it!
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group_-_Noisebridge-20100117-165039.png

14) But wait, we forgot to toss it into the events category, ohnos!
Click on the "edit" link.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Firefox-20100117-165159.png

15) If we look at other events pages, we'll notice that they have
[[Category:events]] somewhere in the page. This tells Mediawiki to
include the page in that category (and in turn have it get listed at the
end of the Category:events page. Let's toss that bit of mark up into the
linux admin group page.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Editing_Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group_-_Noisebridge-20100117-165410.png

16) Give a little summery, click the this is a minor edit box (since it
is minor), click "Show preview" and we should have a preview that
doesn't really look different other then the extra bit at the bottom
saying it's in the events category.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Linux_System_Administration_Study_Group_-_Noisebridge-20100117-165550.png

17) Ok the page looks good, hit "Save page" and you should have a
freshly completed edit. Let's go take a look at the events page and see
if the new page is listed there.
http://0.starset.net/screenies/Category_Events_-_Noisebridge-20100117-165700.png

And now you're done.

--