[Noisebridge-discuss] Best strategy and currency for foreign travel..

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Jan 25 16:13:11 UTC 2010

Mikael Vejdemo-Johansson wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:43 AM, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:
>> If you're going to be gone for quite some time and you have complex
>> border crossing plans, I suggest a second passport. Normal US Citizens
>> are permitted two passports that are valid at the same time. One will be
>> valid for ten years, the other for two years. If you need help with
>> this, let me know. If you happen to be a citizen of the Federal Republic
>> of Germany, it's possible to have up to four passports at one time.
>> Sometimes having more than one passport is a serious problem, other
>> times it's a really good idea.
>

> My host father when I studied abroad in Germany would be traveling both
> to Israel and to Egypt, Syria and Lebanon regularly. He kept two
> different passports specifically for this - as having stamps from one
> side of Israel / Arab countries would make border crossing into the
> other category deeply obnoxious.

This is a common practice for the MENA region of the world. It is also
incredibly dangerous depending on your travel plans.

I was recently held in Lebanon by the military in the Beirut airport
because they suspected that I had been to Israel. I had been in Jordan,
Egypt and Qatar but certainly not Israel. However, they suspected just
this kind of passport switch-a-roo because of the duration of my stay in
Jordan. I was subjected to lengthy questioning, detainment, many
searches, serious threats, serious accusations and more.

Remember that some of these countries are actively at war with each
other and they don't take lightly to this kind of trickery. You have to
be smart or you'll get into serious trouble. Sometimes you'll get into
serious trouble anyway, it's the luck of the draw.

So while I suggested having two or more passports, I wouldn't actually
suggest carrying them at the same time with conflicting stamps. At least
not without some careful thought to your personal threat model.

Remember, it's not the stamps you have in your passport that matter.
It's the stamps that you don't. Avoid being marked and you'll avoid
being hassled in many cases.

Best,
Jake