[Noisebridge-discuss] TechShop might open a SF location

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Thu Jan 28 22:23:35 UTC 2010

Ani Niow wrote:
> I don't even think we can fit all the various amounts of machines they
> have inside. Besides the aforementioned and popular laser cutter, they
> not only have larger and more powerful equivilent equipment as us
> (lathe, mill, 3D printer to name a few), but also several we would
> never get.

I agree. We can't fit it all but we can probably manage a subset of the
relevant devices.

We have two 3D printers. We could use a much better high quality 3D
printer but so far, we've not really had the demand. If we want to, we
can write a grant or fund raise for a better 3D printer.

> They also house a good number of manually controlled machines, such as
> Bridgeport mills, plasma cutters, welders, the list really goes on and
> on.

Which do you use or wish to use?

> The great thing about TechShop is they're only purpose is to house
> those machines and to let people use them. They have designed the
> facilities around them and have knowledgable staff to teach you how to
> use them and more staff to maintain them, something which Noisebridge
> doesn't consistently have.

Of course. I learned to do cutting and welding at TechShop. It's a great
place.

> As an occasional machinist there is some equipment that I don't
> believe Noisebridge has the facilities for and are not appropriate for
> our venue. I would be more than happy to pay TechShop $75/month (yay
> student discount) to access stuff like a laser cutter or a much higher
> quality 3D printer rather than pitch in to get NB such equipment.

A laser cutter is pretty easy to acquire. We're nearly to $3000 in
pledges on the wiki. That's enough for this Epilog cutter on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Epilog-Summit-25-Watt-Laser-Engraving-Machine_W0QQitemZ290394923301QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439ce2e125

I don't think we'll get a really high quality 3D printer anytime soon
but it's certainly not an impossible goal to acquire one.

Best,
Jake