[Noisebridge-discuss] which is more toxic to use, leaded or no-lead solder?

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Sun Jul 25 17:04:16 UTC 2010

I just purchased a spool of this no-lead solder
(http://www.all-spec.com/products/KWLF27500.html) for the Crucible
Youth Kinetics program. I've had a few discussions with people about
the toxicity of using no-lead solder vs leaded solder. Which solder is
more toxic to work with, especially considering that children as young
as 8 will be using it?

Some notes:
* I've been very pleased with how well this solder works. It flows
just as well as leaded solder!
* Assume the students wash their hands after using either solder
* Assume reasonable though not "excellent" ventilation