[Noisebridge-discuss] X86 guts for DIY laptop or other embedded device

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 16:17:25 UTC 2010

Hackers might be interested in this device discussed at the latest San
Francisco Linux Users' Group meeting:

-------- (portions of) Original Message --------
There are two interesting machines to be available soon
One is a netbook with AA cells instead of the standard integrated
battery and a low price.
	<http://www.norhtec.com/products/gecko/index.html>

The interesting part is the heart, the so-called XCore86:

http://www.norhtec.com/products/xcore/index.html

You can buy the module for $65, the carrier with all the IO (including
LVDS and touchpad interfaces) for $25. Seems ideal for a low cost but
reasonably modest performance computer.

Yes, there are plenty of other embedded Linux guts, but I'm not aware of
any that are this fully featured or this powerful, running standard X86.

I'm already thinking of bizarre devices in which to install this...