[Noisebridge-discuss] My pants got pwned @ 5MoF

Martin Bogomolni martinbogo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 20:47:44 UTC 2010

I have an idea of how that could have been done, without a laser.
Unfortunately, either scenario is a bit more scary.

There are two acids I can think of that leave burn marks on cotton,
one is more dangerous than the other.   A solution of nitric acid
would do it, but while it would leave a burn mark, it would also very
likely have left a burn on the skin underneath.   The other thing is
that using nitric acid would result in the burned area becoming
nitrocellulose, an explosive (that would have disintegrated in the
wash).  It's also very hard to control .. making a 'stamp' with even
weak nitric acid would be a challenge.

The second is hydrofluoric acid, used in glass etching.   It would
take a while to burn through, and is available as a paste.  A thin
line of that stuff could be 'rubber stamped' on silicone stamps and
applied to your pants, leaving a perfect square.   It's horribly
dangerous though, and it definitely can cause super nasty chemical
burns.

Those would be scenarios that would leave a nice square 'burned' cut
though, without the use of a laser.   Stupidly dangerous, of course.

-Martin