[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge wiki tips discussion

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 20:23:25 UTC 2010

I stumble a lot on Mediawiki markup, yet humbly submit the following 3
initial tips for folks using the Noisebridge wiki.

1) Make a user page for yourself on the Noisebridge page and watch it.
 You don't have to register with the Noisebridge wiki to make your
user page, but you will have to register to watch pages (make sure to
confirm your email address if you want to do this.)

 2a) You don't have to register to check out, or edit recent changes
to the wiki:  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Special:RecentChanges

OR

2b) If you did register, adopt a second page to watch on a subject
that interests you, and note that you are also taking care of it in
the discussion page (I think we could use the discussion pages more
efficiently in general).

3a) Play around with the following 3 basic Mediawiki markups and
preview the page you are editing:

= is for section or 'header' tagging =
* is for lists *
[[ is_for_links ]] but full URL's are automatically parsed so go ahead
and use them or [[ link linkname ]].

Tag markup in the first 2 cases above drills down with multiples of
the tagging character relatively intuitively:
= sections of wiki page =
 == subsections of above   ==
 === smaller subsections yet ===
Links are different, but it's safe to use full URL's to start (anyone
want to clarify this point?)

OR
3b) Refer to: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Wikitext_examples

Now we can discuss and refine mediawiki best practices so we can add
them into https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Help:Contents

-rma