[Noisebridge-discuss] Arduino for Beginners class at SFSU on Friday

Michael Shiloh michaelshiloh1010 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 22:08:37 UTC 2010

Some of you have asked:

I plan to do this again at Noisebridge soon, but in case you can't wait
a moment longer, I'm doing one at SFSU on Friday:

Arduino for Beginners

We’ve been teaching a series of workshops around the San Francisco Bay
Area aimed at helping beginners enter the wonderful world to which
Arduino(*) is the key.

Format:
The first hour and a half, aimed at beginners, is a crash course in
basic electronics, basic programming, and includes installing the
Arduino IDE on your laptop. The goal at the end of this introduction is
that everyone should have an LED blinking under Arduino control, and
have some idea of why it is working.

The next hour or so presumes that everyone knows the basics, and
explores a more advanced topic, such as I2C communication between two
Arduinos, interfacing to Processing and/or The Internet, or
multitasking. Thus, people who already know the basics can simply show
up for the second hour. Beginners should not expect to become experts in
this topic, but to be exposed to some of the directions they might take.

All of this is very flexible. Our goal is to teach what you want.

Bring:

     * Your Arduino board, if you have one, or be prepared to purchase
one ($30) at the meeting.
     * A USB cable for your Arduino
     * A laptop on which to install and run the Arduino IDE. We can
provide a few with advance notice.
     * Any accessories (sensors, LEDs, motors, speakers, robots) you
might have
     * Curiosity and interest!

Before the meeting:
If you can, please install, or at least download, the Arduio IDE before
the meeting. Thumbdrives with the Arduino IDE will be available at the
meeting. The Arduino IDE is available here, is completely free, and runs
on Mac OS, Linux, and Windows.

* What is Arduino?
Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on
flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It’s intended for artists,
designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive
objects or environments.

Arduino can sense the environment by receiving input from a variety of
sensors and can affect its surroundings by controlling lights, motors,
and other actuators. The microcontroller on the board is programmed
using the Arduino programming language and the Arduino development
environment. Arduino projects can be stand-alone or they can communicate
with software on running on a computer (e.g. Flash, Processing, MaxMSP).

When and where is the next class?
Friday, July 16, 2010
1 PM to 3:30 PM
Sn Francisco State University