[Noisebridge-discuss] Geocities reincarnation and the chess problems that the computer couldn't solve

Don French dcfrench at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 20:28:46 UTC 2010

There was some discussion on this list some time back about Geocities being
shut down.  Well, I was surprised to get an email yesterday from someone
commenting on one of my chess problems that, to the best of my knowledge,
only ever appeared on Geocities.  When I asked how he came upon the problem
so many months after Geocities was shut down, he told me about
Reocities.com, a partial reconstruction of the historic site.  Yahoo!

So my chess problems are online again at
http://reocities.com/SoHo/cafe/8437/myChessCompositions.html<http://reocities.com/SoHo/cafe/8437/myChessCompositions.html#walterBrowne>.
Of possible interest to some of you, two of them are simple two-move mates
that I advertised as problems that no computer program, save the one that I
wrote, could solve.  That has changed since I published them many years ago,
but there are sill very few programs that can find the solutions.  I thought
that some of you puzzle-solving and artificial intelligence types might find
them interesting.