[Noisebridge-discuss] begging for a mashup [not hijacking thread: rant: youtube as documentation (hijacked thread was: Re: "Half-rap" music and "Grabbing a record")]

T t at of.net
Mon Jul 19 21:24:52 UTC 2010

>> I hate this growing trend of using Youtube instead of written
>> instructions. Never mind that I don't like using Flash (at all, and
>> especially not on Linux), the real problem is that my brain doesn't
>> process information at the same speed as the video shows, and I'd rather
>> have written words and/or pictures in front of me that I can browse as
>> slowly or as rapidly as I wish, and can go back and forth, and even open
>> in multiple windows so that I can see different steps at the same time.

Ooooh.  Begging for a mashup.

A text-to-speech engine (like the one Google uses in Android) to pull
time-indexed text out of youtube interleaved with periodic screencaps
and dumped into a wiki.

And if you have the right plugin a button offering the wiki when you
visit a youtube video.

Initially it should err on the side of too many screen shots, since
it's way faster to delete redundant ones than add new ones.

And then people can just trim and cleanup and add bullets and step
numbering and stuff.

That way you end up with docs that are good for random access and you
don't leverage the product of those who'd rather create video or don't
have the time or inclination to edit text and screencaps.

Hey, this would look good on a resume.  Or next year's GSOC
application.  <wink wink> <winking at someone but I don't know who>

>> There is something else that bothers me about it that I can't quite put
>> my finger on.

Searchability maybe?

Best Regards.