[Noisebridge-discuss] Caffeine solution @ NB?

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Tue Jul 20 21:16:28 UTC 2010

I just got a shipment from United Nuclear of 2oz (57g) pure caffeine
(among some other toys).

My plan is to make a water solution of it when I get back to SF, at
about 50mg caffeine per tablespoon.[0]

I can leave 1L (~= 3.4g caffeine) of that solution at Noisebridge if
there's interest.

Pro: Easily caffeinate your own drinks. 1L would be enough for ~40 Red
Bull strength 8oz drinks. Completely safe if used properly. Way
cheaper than energy drinks.

Con: Human LD50 is ~10g[1]. So if you drink the whole bottle (~= 17
coffees' worth) it'll probably fuck you up and might kill you if
you're more sensitive than usual.

OTOH you would probably taste and feel it well before you managed to
drink anywhere near that much unless you're suicidal enough to chug
it. Also, there's already plenty of lethal-if-used-stupidly equipment
in the machine shop.

It would of course be clearly labeled for dosage and lethality, with a
one-drink's-worth measuring spoon attached.

I could also easily dilute it to any desired amount. It's just a
matter of what would be convenient and how much dilution of your drink
is OK vs what safety level against abuse you want.

In any case this won't happen until August when I get back.

So:
a) Do y'all want to have it around in the first place?
b) If yes, at what solution strength?

- Sai

[0]  Comparison: 1 large cup strong coffee ~= 200mg; 1 shot espresso
~= 75mg; 8oz Red Bull, Monster, etc. ~= 80mg

See http://www.energyfiend.com/the-caffeine-database

[1] MSDS: http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/C0165.htm

Emergency treatment is to induce vomiting.