[Noisebridge-discuss] MIT AI Lab / Symbolics / Space-cadet Keyboards ... where?

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Fri Jul 23 22:48:04 UTC 2010

I just read a comment on Hacker News claiming "the best keyboards ever
made by mankind were the MIT AI Lab keyboards...custom manufactured
by the now-defunct Microswitch corporation". [1]

Would anyone know how I might go about trying out one such Knight [2]
keyboard? Or maybe a Symbolics [3] or Space-cadet [4] keyboard? I
realize they won't work with contemporary computers, I'd just like
to feel the key action.

A dream project of mine is to make a mechanical keyboard with nice
long-travel over-center action that would also fold up into a laptop
for on-the-go no-compromise hand/machine synergy. So it would be nice
to get a sense of how these mythical peripherals feel for reference.
I'm also interested to feel how they compare next to my Kinesis
Contoured [5] and Happy Hacking Pro [6] keyboards...

BTW - nice guide to mechanical keyboards [7] linked in that HN post.

[1] http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1539752
[2] http://world.std.com/~jdostale/kbd/Knight.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Symbolics-keyboard.jpg
[4] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard