[Noisebridge-discuss] Money and Dojo

Ever Falling everfalling at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 01:38:22 UTC 2010

we have a greeting computer but it's mostly used as a common internet portal
for anyone who didn't bring a laptop. Maybe the touch screen nearest the
door can have a large icon on it that would direct people to the main
'about' sections of the wiki (vision, membership, etc)? included in that
would be the form to sign up to the mailing list to get updates on the
space. i like this idea over a sign-in computer cause i'm not sure i see the
reason for knowing who's been coming in and when and there's a buncha tin
foil hatted people who would be against it on principle i'm sure.

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> On 07/02/2010 02:53 PM, Glen Jarvis wrote:
> > As a visitor of the Hacker Dojo, I have "signed in" and received my badge
> at
> > visits. They, therefore, had my email address and knew I was a visitor of
> > the Dojo.
> >
> > I don't know if it's a good or bad idea for Noisebridge to have a
> 'sign-in'
> > computer for guests. I imagine would could find something of value to
> print
> > for the upcoming guests (like a virtual tour, etc.) instead of a name
> tag.
> >  If money is tight, a similar mailing could go out. However, it would go
> > against  the grain of some of our culture - totally anonymous visitations
> of
> > the space.
> >
> > Either way, it's interesting enough to forward to noisebridge for
> > discussion.
> >

> Why bother with a sign-in computer at all? What's the difference between
> a guest and a long time visitor that isn't a member?
>
> I guess everyone and anyone still has keys? :-)
>
> All the best,
> Jake

Trying to fix or change something, only guarantees and perpetuates its
existence.