[Noisebridge-discuss] Ideas for Tasteybridge projects!?

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 04:07:22 UTC 2010

I've got a batch of Amish Friendship Bread batter bubbling in my
kitchen right now!

It is "sourdough", in that it's fermented and utilizes aerobic
bacteria in its fermentation, along with yeast too.

I've never obtained a unique culture (not even when I lived near
Lancaster, PA), because in general you don't need one, and in specific
it's often detrimental to the livelihood of the brew to take a culture
from one part of the world and try to seed it in another.

The microorganisms that work well in San Francisco are not the same as
in Lancaster (which is why SF sourdough is distinctive and
unreproducible elsewhere).  A sourdough culture you buy off the
internet from, say, Wisconsin WILL be "Wisconsin sourdough" -- for the
first 4 or 5 batches.  But SF is just swimming with particular strains
of bacteria and yeast, so unless you're operating totally sterile,
gradually you'll end up with SF sourdough just by virtue of some
bacteria being emphasized in this climate and others not flourishing
as much or at all.

What separates Amish friendship bread from regular sourdough is that
the former is fed a diet of flour, milk, and sugar, whereas the latter
only eats the flour.  So even if you start with an SF sourdough
culture, if you feed it an Amish bread diet it will pretty quickly
start tasting like Amish Friendship Bread should.  I've started and
kept Amish bread batters in Philly, Toronto, and now here in SF.
They're all subtly different but not significantly.

By the way: the liquidy Amish friendship bread batter-starter makes a
really yummy pancake batter.  Just add an egg to about a cup of the
batter and you're done.

--Naomi