[Noisebridge-discuss] Grad student survey request

Kyla Wagman wagmank at vcu.edu
Fri Jul 9 01:12:34 UTC 2010

This is an interesting point.  I probably shouldn't capitalize the maker
movement since I don't know of any previous time where one was prevalent.
I'm more referring to the spirit that was around the time when people
weren't reliant on technology/big box stores/etc... and could do and make
things on their own.  I don't know if there's significance in the fact that
people had to instead of wanted to make for themselves. Does that make
sense?

I think it's fair to say that the influx in technology, big box stores, and
manufacturers over the decades has made people (in general), reliant on
it/them. And so they do less for themselves than they did before.  Fair?
The DIY spirit has been a growing trend over the past years - and this
renewed interest in DIY has shed light onto the likes of you all who never
really lost that DIY spirit.  Some argue the trend towards DIY is a result
of the recession, some would say it's a generational response.  I don't know
what I think yet, still figuring that out.  But what's interesting about you
all, is that the spirit is really intrinsic to yourselves.  I talked to
someone who said, you either have it or you don't.  You aren't
tinkering/hacking/making as a result of some bigger factor - you've just
always done it or been interested in it.  Do you guys agree with that?