[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

Naomi Most pnaomi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 08:57:50 UTC 2010

This being quite the lively group discussion, I'm going to quickly
respond to some points from various people all in one email.  It's
brisk and snappy.

To summarize my own position:  I'm pro for-pay classes as a means of
attracting and keeping nifty people at Noisebridge, and I don't see
any downsides to allowing it.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess I'm a little confused why we need to set a "policy" in the first
> place...nothing at Noisebridge prevents you from having a class that charges
> cash...its a do-acracy, so if you want to charge for a class, you should!
> So, I don't really know why we're talking policies and SOPs and lions and
> tigers and bears.

Nobody's talking about "setting" any kind of policy.  Except for a few
people on this list who seem to ALWAYS reach for rule-setting despite
it being totally unreasonable in the context of Noisebridge and having
no effect whatsoever.

What's happening in this discussion is a fleshing out of our culture,
not a movement towards mandates.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) NB doesn't benefit from you making money. So, if you're using NB as a way
> to make money for yourself, it would be considerate to think of a cool way
> to benefit NB while you make cash (part of the income goes to NB donations,
> or free food for the space, or have the class help out on space
> cleanup/construction, etc.)

NB does, however, profit from increased exposure to newbies who would
be potential dues-paying members.  Teachers who are collecting fees
for their classes have an incentive to get the word out to non-NB
people (especially if they plan on teaching the same class multiple
times).  So whether or not NB receives some of the direct proceeds,
the incentives of the teacher are aligned with and benefit NB's needs
for outreach purposes.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Sean Cusack <sean.p.cusack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess what I'm saying could be summarized as "be creative". I feel like
> forcing people to pay for a class to take it is using an old, boring
> business model. Instead of trying to mold Noisebridge to fit into what you
> want it to be, why not think of a good way to do what you want (in this
> instance, making cash while teaching what you love) by working within the
> awesome anarchy that is Noisebridge? I'd be happy to offer specific
> suggestions (just like I did with the Arduino class).

The realistic/boring fact about anarchy: people are still free to do
things the boring way too.  Especially if they work and they don't
step on anybody else's toes.

But there's no way at Noisebridge to "force" the paying of a fee anyway!

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Geoff Horne <horne at slc.com.au> wrote:
>>
>> my $0.02 :
>> If someone is going to charge for a class they should pay NB rent for the
>> time and space that they use. People paying for the class need to cover
>> these costs and the costs of any consumables used by NB or provided by the
>> teacher.

Members already pay for the space with their dues.  What they do with
the space while they're there is a matter of informal consensus as to
whether it's acceptable or not.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:
>   I like the notion of enforcement through common
> values rather than through contracts and officers.

Exactly.  And, added bonus: it's the only model that actually WORKS at
Noisebridge.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Additionally considering that the only two "closed off" spaces on our
> floor is the bathroom and darkroom, I find the notion of charging to be
> within ear-shot of spewing knowledge entertaining. So either way, I win.

Well, yes, exactly!  We all win.  Holding for-pay classes at
Noisebridge, where there are no actual space restrictions, means we
end up with good teachers who feel valued, students who feel they're
truly invested in being there, and the knowledge in actuality still
being free.

--Naomi

ps. Leif, your Kickstarter model idea is pretty brilliant.