[Noisebridge-discuss] Charging for classes at Noisebridge

meredith scheff satiredun at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 20:44:28 UTC 2010

first: I read about half of these, but i want to chime in. Pardon if what I
am saying has been said.
I'm for charging for classes. Not all of them, but when you want to. I think
charging for classes has social-economic plusses:
1. people who pay are more likely to be more serious about staying in the
class. I know this from teaching elsewhere, and I'll also say that having
people flit in and out is not only distracting but also frustrating for the
teacher.
2. teachers are (hopefully) more serious about the classes.
3. the reason I personally don't take many classes at NB is that it's really
hard to judge how long they'll last, when the teacher will actually show up,
etc.
My personal preference is to have a fixed-length class. Example:
 I've been wanting to teach a figure drawing class at NB that would be maybe
twice a week for 3 weeks. Getting a model from the guild isn't too pricey,
but it does cost. I really wouldn't like for people to just drop in, as in
this situation there needs to be some professionalism that needs to be
followed for the models. I also strongly prefer to teach more in depth, and
I believe someone who pays would be more likely to stick around.
My 2 cents.
mer

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:

> Leif Ryge wrote, On 20100717 114333:
> > We don't spend official NB funds (dues + monetary donations) without
> > consensus to do so, and afaik we haven't ever consensed to spend money
> > on materials for a specific class or project.
>
> Getting Noisebridge to spend Noisebridge funds is relatively hard. For a
> while I thought this was a bug, now see it as a feature.
>
> --
> Rubin Abdi
> rubin at starset.net

doing stuff and making things
---
"The function of all art ... is an extension of the function of the visual
brain, to acquire knowledge; ...artists are, in a sense, neurologists who
study the capacities of the visual brain with techniques that are unique to
them. ." -Semir Zeki