[Noisebridge-discuss] tor proxies

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jul 19 01:13:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM, T <t at of.net> wrote:
> I usually configure browser to use privoxy, privoxy to use polipo, and
> polipo to use tor.

I strongly recommend that unless you have a good reason not to, you
use Torbutton instead for browsing purposes. There are a lot of ways
that your suggested setup leaks information enough to identify you.

For general purpose use, I use Proxifier, which transparently reroutes
all traffic that meet the rules you specify (destination IP or app
based), optionally including DNS lookups. I have Proxifier running
always when I'm on an untrusted network, tunneling through a private
server w/ an SSH tunnel. (You could equally well tunnel it through
Privoxy/Tor - it takes any proxy.)

- Sai