[Noisebridge-discuss] tor proxies

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Jul 19 18:40:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:31 AM, T <t at of.net> wrote:
> Well, when I say "configure browser" I do in fact mean use a firefox
> plugin to route me to the proxy like you do.  Good to know about
> proxifier- is it better than foxyproxy?

It's different; I have both.

Foxyproxy is nice if you need various proxies meeting different
policies and you don't care about a) privacy, b) DNS and other
leakage, and c) non-Firefox usage. (E.g. does it even cover Flash
sockets? I'm not sure.)

Proxifier by default covers *everything* from your system AFAICT with
my tracing, including optionally DNS. E.g. ping, ssh, firefox, adium,
etc etc regardless of whether they respect the explicit system-wide
proxy suggestion. Which makes it a lot better for using on an
untrusted network, since you want to be able to only allow specific
things local access. (I exempt the IPs for my proxy servers and Safari
- I use Safari to browse the local network, e.g. to hit
pony.noise/gate.)

> Why do you think torbutton alone is better than using privoxy to
> (relatively) sanitize?

Torbutton uses the same proxy underlyingly. But torbutton also does a
whole lot of other sanitization that privoxy doesn't and can't do. The
list is very long; check its FAQ.

> Its troublesome when people use blanket statements like "I recommend
> you use x" since x is often not enough- you still need to understand
> what the tool does and its limitations.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of this. We've talked about
it here before. I just don't really want to reiterate myself every
time.

> It may be pedantic, but I always tell people what I do, not what they
> should do.

I say "you should do x if you want y". Which IMO is completely correct.

- Sai