[Noisebridge-discuss] "Half-rap" music and "Grabbing a record"

Tim Jones timwjones at me.com
Mon Jul 19 19:02:14 UTC 2010

>   2. Why are so many songs using autotune as a
>      cute effect almost constantly (and not for
>      its intended pitch correction) ?

I guess I think culture likes to hack musical tools to be used in ways they weren't designed for. Like playing guitar with a broken bottle, or scratching a record, or TB303 basslines.

>   3. There is an effect in many songs that sounds
>      like grabbing a playing record to slow it
>      down to a stop.
>      Is there a name for this effect?
>      Any hints on how to achieve this, say in
>      Audacity, Ableton Live, etc. ?

The tracks you're hearing on 99.7 probably used a Pro Tools plugin called "Vari-Fi". This is super-powerful but afaik only works in Pro Tools. For Ableton you'd probably need to find a plugin -- I've heard "Dblue Tapestop" is good for this, though it's Windows only. CoolEdit (aka Adobe Audition) is fantastic at this effect, but it's again Windows only, and it's more of a wave editor than a proper production suite.

=T=