[Noisebridge-discuss] Connecting 128 EL-Wires to an Arduino

Sean Cusack sean.p.cusack at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 08:30:39 UTC 2010

If you have any kind of space constraint or form factor considerations, I'd
highly recommend using fewer, bigger inverters. I've made a costume that
contains 70 feet of EL wire, and I drive it using 2 cool neon fish
inverters<http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT88394/it.A/id.194/.f>*caution:
works on 9-12V DC, not 5V!*. I used to use 3, but ended up bailing
for the following reasons:

1) I couldn't route the wire to connect them all in parallel since it would
have wrapped all around my body and tied me up. Therefore, I had to carry
around 24 AA's in order for it to work.

2) The problem when you start adding more and more batteries is that you can
never be sure if they are all at the same charge level. In other words,
trying to get any kind of consistent brightness across strands is pretty
much impossible.

3) Each driver puts off some noise. In a loud atmosphere, you'll never hear
a few of them, but if you end up using a bunch...like 20, its probably going
to start sounding like a deadly mosquito attack. Also, every driver gets
hot. Since I carry these right next to my crotch...I started to...well...get
uncomfortable (with 3 of them).

Also, remember that EL wire brightness is derived from frequency*volts.
Since you're sort of stuck on a pretty narrow range of frequency, you're
going to have to bank on voltage. With only a 5V supply, you're stuff is
only going to work in pitch black environments, or you'll be changing out
batts every couple hours or so.

Lastly, unless you want to do something really crazy, why not let someone
else handle a section of the sequencing for you? You can probably get a fair
amount of the way there by using this off-the-shelf sequencer, and then
hacking it to go the rest of the way:
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT88394/it.A/id.192/.f

Hope it helps -
Sean