[Noisebridge-discuss] which is more toxic to use, leaded or no-lead solder?

Tymm Twillman tymmothy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 17:19:14 UTC 2010

For kids i'd always go with non-leaded solder; there is especial concern about children's developing brains exposure to lead... and from what i've read there's no "safe exposure limit" to lead for children -- especially since lead toxicity is cumulative and it builds up in the system.  For adults, there's nearly as much concern (and from all reports i've read there have been no reports of lead toxicity resulting from soldering) -- personally I use leaded solder for almost everything, but due pull out the lead-free on occasion (when kids are soldering or when working on boards that were previously soldered with lead-free).

Do make sure there's adequate active ventilation (fans / filters) -- apparently due to the higher temperatures necessary for using lead-free solder, particles in the fumes are smaller, which makes them more of a problem and increases dangers to lungs.  Make sure the kids know not to inhale the fumes & don't put their faces right over the boards as they solder, as kids are likely to do.  My understanding is that for adults the leaded solder is probably just as safe or safer than the lead-free stuff (as long as hands are washed, etc.), as there is much less concern about lead's effects on a fully developed brain.