[Noisebridge-discuss] Help with Simple Circuit : Blinking LED

Jonathan Foote jtfoote at ieee.org
Wed Jul 28 06:47:42 UTC 2010

Jim's right, that looks like a "one-shot" timer and not an oscillator.

To get something that oscillates, use a circuit that discharges the
cap when it turns on like a multivibrator
(https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Multivibrator) or a
555.

There are one-transistor flashers but they are sort of dodgy as they
rely on negative resistance from avalanche  e.g. see "LED flasher"
midway on this page: http://members.shaw.ca/roma/twenty-three.html

I wouldn't count on it working reliably or for any length of time
unless you use transistors designed to work in avalanche -- try a
multivibrator.