[Noisebridge-discuss] Loudspeaker SPL calculation

jim jim at well.com
Fri Jul 30 00:43:35 UTC 2010

   i don't know either. i've interspersed my "understanding"
and hope for clarification. nice write-up, by the way.

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 15:31 -0700, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> I feel a little silly, because I'm sure the answer is simple and I'm
> just blind to it.
>

> Master Handbook of Acoustics, 5th Edition, Everest and Pohlmann.
> --------------------
> Example 2:
>
> Assume point source and free field, so we know inverse square law applies.
js: "point source" == one speaker in a closed back cab
js: "free field" == something like the cab is hanging by
    a thread 50 meters above flat ground that spreads out
    for a km or so, or maybe it's hanging above the tip
    of a pointy mountain top.

> An input of 1 W produces SPL of 115 dB at 1 m. What is the SPL at 6.1 m?
JS: i'm assuming 1W at 1m is a matter of unity-ing out the
    baseline, i.e. all existing hard-won formulas have
    been written wrt meters and Watts.

> Answer: SPL = 115 - 20 log 6.1/1
> ------------------------
> I think I understand intuitively that the ratio of the distances,
> squared (hence the 20 in front of the log), represents the difference in
> pressure, but I don't understand how they got here. Or why they subtract
> from 115 to get the answer.
JS: mainly i'm developing a headache, but subtracting
    from 115 is because 115 is the SPL where other parms
    are at unity and subtracting is what you do if distance
    is greater than unity (while adding is what you do if
    distance is less than unity) and the thing you subtract
    is the (20 log(distance_in_meters)/1(SOME_UNIT)) because
    that's the formula.
    SO what are the measurement units of 6.1 and 1 (the
    denominator)? seems something to do with
    Watts = ((SPL_thingies)(meters))
    (Watts/meters) = SPL_thingies
    TROUBLE: watts is energy per time_unit; how to express
    energy? joules? BTUs? pounds? and what happens when one
    divides joules, say, by meters?
JS: the headache's getting worse. i need a snack.